Are you dreaming of an upper level large veranda for relaxing with your family and friends but you can’t possibly have it because your house is a bungalow? Well, this post will tell you that it is very possible for you to have that coveted veranda installed in your house, however, it is not going to be a veranda but a stunning roof deck!
Indeed, if your house is a bungalow and you have a flat roof, you can install a roof deck on it. Now, if your roof is not flat, you can always talk to experts and make that dream happen. Architects and engineers have rich ideas about transforming an already existing house to a new one without compromising the whole structure.
If you are really interested in building a roof deck on your house or planning to build a house with a roof deck, please read this article for more information.
Roof Slope, in one of their articles, presented the benefits of a roof deck:
- One of the main advantages of having a rooftop deck is that it adds additional seasonal living space.
- A rooftop deck is ideal for entertaining.
- It provides homeowners with outstanding views.
- Having a deck built on a flat roof gives it fire resistance and high-quality thermal performance. This type of deck also provides your roofing system sound, structural support.
- It creates a slope for improved wind-uplift performance and a slope for drainage.
- Rooftop decks offer a large space for growing vegetables and plants in container gardens. Consider that vegetation grown in large planters can take advantage of full-sun exposure in open areas.
- A deck on your roof can add personality to your house, making it stand out in your neighborhood. What’s more, you can increase the value of your home.
However, it also has warnings. Roof Slope wrote:
- The first step is to make sure that your flat roof is strong enough to support a deck. To do this, you’ll need a professional to inspect it. For a rooftop deck to be safely installed on a flat roof, a roof has to be strong enough to support approximately 55 pounds for each square foot.
- Before you can start building you’ll need a permit from your local building department. This entails submitting detailed drawings, besides notifying next-door neighbors.
- Think about the type of railings you’ll need for your deck. Various kinds of railings can be used, such as wood, wrought iron, stone or brick. They can even be part of your existing house structure.
- Consider the weather where you live, such as the amount of abuse and pounding your deck will most likely have to endure, particularly during winter.
- Find out how your roof can be protected from thermal contractions and expansion.
- Roof decks can have a serious issue from ponding water, which is water remaining on a roof after 48 hours following rainfall. This can compromise the performance and longevity of the roofing membrane.
- However, the problem of ponding or pooling water is not because of the deck itself. Instead, the issue is with the roof that lies underneath the deck.
- Ensure that your roof can withstand water and is able to support a deck without leaking because it can be very difficult to repair a leak underneath a roof after the deck is installed.
- Consider designing your deck so that you’re able to get to the roof in case you have roof leakage.
- Determine the colors that will go with your house, along with the type of roofing materials that won’t clash with your home.
The layout of the floor plan looks very orderly and all the areas are spacious enough. If you are considering this layout, you can always have some remodeling or modification if you wish.
If you like this design and would like to request for the floor plan, you may contact us by leaving your comment here. Our architects will be very glad to have you assisted. We post different designs every day which you can your for your inspiration or preferences. You can browse through our other designs and contact us if you need further assistance.
You may want to check our other websites as well. You can click the following hyperlinks and you will be redirected to the websites. Please, enjoy. Thank you!